The Domingue Center is currently slated to be closed by LCG and citizens are clamoring to keep it open to serve the recreational needs of North Lafayette. This snippet of the past about the origins of the Center was obtained from Lafayette Memories on Facebook through a post by Patti Credeur. We thank her for sharing information about this great man who made a big difference in our community.
The Domingue Recreation Center, located at 901 Mudd Avenue, is named after Albert “Mickey” Domingue, who was the director of Parks and Recreation from 1946-1978 under two mayors of Lafayette.
When Mickey Domingue took over the duties of Superintendent of Parks and Recreation for the City of Lafayette in 1946, the city owned 2 parks. Through hard work of Mr. Domingue and many, many dedicated others, it grew to 27 areas compromising 883 acres of land. He was also responsible for implementing programs such as The Golden Age Club, Lafayette Parish Youth Baseball, Black Recreation, the Park Advisory Board, Youth Basketball and Football, Youth and Adult Softball, Water Safety, Tennis, Youth Council, Teenage Council, Self Defense, Jr. Track and Field, and numerous more.
Domingue dedicated 32 plus years ensuring Lafayette’s youth and adults could enjoy the benefits of the recreation facilities for exercise, family enjoyment and team sports. The residents of Lafayette would not be the same without the work put forth by Mickey Domingue and everyone that were also dedicated to the youth of the area.”
Featured image photo by Leslie Westbrook of The Advocate.